Back to the first page of the Camano Sail and Power website

                                                   BUT WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS IF I DO NOT OWN WATERFRONT?

       There are two possible solutions. 
       Possible solution No. 1.  Talk to a friend who does have waterfront or, alternatively, befriend someone who does. 
If they do not have a boat or a mooring and have no particular plans to do so, perhaps you can strike a bargain with them
where you agree to enhance the value of their property by installing a legal mooring at your expense (most likely around $3000.) if
they agree to let you use the mooring during the months of x through y.  You would be negotiating with the landowner for the right to use the mooring and such an agreement could possibly involve e.g. your paying them something during the period of your use or even agreeing to take them out on your boat from time to time.  Any agreement is purely limited to your, and their, imagination and inventiveness.  It should be a win-win for it to work.
       Possible solution No. 2.  Recall from the discussion on seabed ownership that, in most cases around Washington, the State controls the seabed beyond the lower low tide line.  Which raises the question "can a person obtain a permit for a mooring on state land if they do not own the uplands?  Quite honestly, Camano Sail and Power has not yet attempted to obtain a permit under this circumstance and hence we do not, as yet, have the definitive answer to the question.  We can imagine a number of questions that the State could raise in trying to decide whether to grant a permit or not.  For example, how would the moorage permittee get to and from the mooring without trespassing on another's property?  More importantly, because the various agencies control the "density" of moorings (how many per so many square feet) and because the placement is controlled to a great degree by the presence/absence of eelgrass and kelp, could the permitting of a mooring for a non-uplands owner then close the door on any future possibility of the uplands owner getting a mooring:
    Our "hunch" for solution No. 2 is that very probably a non-uplands owner could not get a permit without the permission of the uplands owner.  Which, in essence, throws it back onto solution No. 1.
       Let's be quite clear here on two points:  Camano Sail and Power's sole two committments and responsibilities (other than perhaps helping you find a suitable waterfront owner) are  1) TO YOU, AS THE PERSON RESPONSIBLE FOR PAYING FOR THE MOORING INSTALLATION***, AND  2) TO THE WATERFRONT OWNER TO BE SURE THAT THEY END UP WITH A LEGAL MOORING AND ATTENDANT AGREEMENT WITH THE STATE DNR. That owner would contract with us and all of the paperwork and final documents would be in their name only.
       Ideally, it should be a waterfront location 1) where you can access fairly easily, especially considering that you may be
transporting gear, crew and friends to your boat;  2) where you can perhaps store a dinghy for getting to/from your moored boat;
and/or 3) near some launch area perhaps belonging to a homeowners association (perhaps theirs, ideally yours) or a public access point like a county road that ends at the beach where many people on this island keep dinghys), or county or state park or county or state launch ramp.
       Camano Sail and Power may be able to help you with some of these.  For example, we install moorings for people who use them very infrequently, or even have two moorings, one for them and one for their friends.  It is our observation that the majority of us make grander plans than are realistically achievable, leading to many moorings going unused for entire seasons.  We also may know of waterfront owners who may be receptive to such an arrangement.

***this statement is not meant to preclude  an agreement between you and the landowner whereby perhaps the two of you share the cost.   That would/could be a source of negotiation between you two.